Sunday, January 3, 2010

A little dose of Disney

By now it's no secret that I LOVE Disney. And last night, as I sat down to watch one of my favorite movies since I was a little girl, I was again reminded why. It's ultimately the ideals held by Walt and the way he went about sharing them with the world.
Have you ever seen the movie "Pollyanna"? As much as I loved that classic film as a kid, it means even more to me as an adult. Because I understand more of what it's saying. One film critic said, "Pollyanna is a near-perfect movie; it should be required viewing for everyone." I agree. Hayley Mill's performance is remarkable, as are the adult performances in it (Karl Malden imparticular). But it's the story that does it for me every time. It's just so lovely. So wholesome. So kind. So full of all the good things in the world. That's what I enjoy the most. And I appreciate that Walt Disney saw that too and took the efforts to make such a sweet story known.
I was watching a "Making of" featurette and Walt was quoted as saying he only made movies "that show forth the best in all of us." I'm so glad he did. You can see that mission in almost all the old Disney pictures, but especially this one.
It is good for me to watch "Pollyanna." It's good because I can hear myself starting to get cynical these days. And I need to be reminded of that Abraham Lincoln quote in the movie ---"If you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will." And that works the other way around too.
Thanks, Mr. Disney. I needed that!

No comments:

Post a Comment