Monday, October 5, 2009

Dealing with the Hope Question

A friend of mine called today and says (not knowing the struggle with hope I've been having), "We're going to keep hoping, because 'hope does not disappoint'." Now, I know that's in the Bible, but I'm telling you, this whole hope thing has me really baffled. I've done Bible Studies that talked in depth about it and I have many verses memorized that mention it, but I am having a hard time with how it practically plays out in situations like the one I'm in now. Is it just the hope of Jesus the Bible says we are to hang on to? Or could it be something as gritty as the hope for healing? As I've said here before....I have very few answers anymore. Mostly just questions.
But I know that when my friend quoted that verse today I thought--I probably need to look it up and see if the Holy Spirit does any talking. It seems more than a coincidence that THAT would be the verse she wanted to share with me. So, all this entry is going to be is verses I find in my concordance, and I pray God will use them to speak to me.

Job 13:15 "Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him..."

Psalm 147:11 "The Lord delights in those who fear Him, in those who put their hope in His unfailing love."

Isaiah 40:31 "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Romans 5: 3-5 "...but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perserverance, perserverance character; and character hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit whom He has given us."

Romans 12:12 "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer..."

I Cor 13:13 "Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love"

I Cor. 13:7 "Love always hopes, always perserveres..."

Heb 11:1 "Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see."

No comments:

Post a Comment